Thursday, March 17, 2011

Japanese Disaster Shows Emotional Intelligence of Dogs

I'm sure by now you've heard the story of the Japanese dog who stood guard at the side of his fallen friend...another dog.  I am not a scientist, but I am extremely passionate about dogs and have spent years learning about them and I feel this recent story proves that dogs are quite intelligent beings.  If you're a dog lover like me, you probably already believe this to be true as there are other stories like this one...

  • Greyfriars Bobby, a Skye terrier, who visited his owner's grave for years until his own death.
  • Stubby aka Sgt. Stubby, a Pit Bull terrier, was America's first decorated War Dog having saved his regimen from a mustard gas attack in World War I
  • Hachiko, an Akita, remained so loyal to his owner for years after his death would wait for his owner at the train station where they routinely greeted each other daily before the owner's death
I have a friend whose husband recently passed away at home after a long illness and the dog, a Jack Russell terrier, was so distraught that upon his owner's death, he went into his crate and cried for hours.  I'm sure there are countless stories like this across the world.  I know my dogs grin a lot, cuddle when they feel like it and have real emotions.  They are amazing creatures and I think they are often underestimated.

Please feel free to share your favorite story like this with us, whether famous or personal.

DV2BESZCDAEX

1 comment:

  1. I just watch most of the happenings and news about this devastating event in Japan, but still so good to hear and see such heroic stories and survivals of animals.

    dog beds

    ReplyDelete